If you have a child with autism like me, you try to learn as much about autism as possible. If you want to learn more, or help a relative or friend understand autism better, there are several free online courses to choose from.
1. AUTISM (Swinburne University of Technology)
2. AUTISM AND RELATED DISORDERS (Yale University)
Materials for this seminar are from Yale’s undergraduate (3rd level) course.
The course is self-paced, so you can learn when it suits you. Course topics include:
- Autism Overview
- Treatments for Autism
- Parental Perspectives and Supporting Families
The course is available at http://autism.yale.edu/ or on iTunes.
3. FOUNDATIONS OF AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDERS: AN ONLINE COURSE (by the Waisman Center at University of Wisconsin-Madison)
“The purpose of this course is to advance a common understanding of core principles, concepts, knowledge and practices about autism spectrum disorders (ASD), as derived from a comprehensive review of the literature. The course content provides foundation for educational and community-based support of individuals with ASD and their families.”
4. AUTISM 101 (By Autism Society)
- Introduction to the Autism Spectrum
- Overview of Treatment Options
- Treatment Assistance
- Transition to Adulthood
- What We Can Do Every Day
When you complete the course, you can download a certificate of completion.
5. APPS FOR STUDENTS WITH AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER (Apple Educators)
Educators and parents struggle to find appropriate apps to use for students with special needs. The purpose of this course is to assist in determining what app features to look for when selecting apps. This course explores how to select apps based on learning traits and styles of students, appropriate uses in education, App features to consider, and how this information can be utilized to select more appropriate apps for students with special needs
You may also be interested in: